Saturday, June 28, 2008

More green than St. Patty's Day

Being single is pretty fuckin' cool. Instead of having one boyfriend, I get to have several (sort of)! Granted, I'm not getting laid because they're all friends and half of them have girlfriends, I do get help doing stuff like painting my condo and I have a selection of accomplices for silly adventures. I feel very thankful for this !!! Also, I don't think they mind hanging out with a tall blonde who drinks beer and smokes pot, either. (But I could be very, very wrong)

One such instance was friday night. My buddy Mikey and I decided to make it a green friday. How might one accomplish such a feat? You begin by sporting your best bright green Incredible Hulk t-shirt (part of an underoos set purchased many moons ago), which I coordinated with black cigarette pants and peep-toe stilettos. Then, you smoke beaucoup de weed. Finally, you go see the new Hulk movie with Edward Norton and Liv Tyler. Top off the night by smoking more bud and killing a bottle of wine. It's a damn good time, I promise!

I was too distracted by my cherry slushie during the previews to pay too much attention, but I can tell you at least 2 things: 1. I want to see the new Will Smith movie, and the new Hellboy. 2. There was some preview of a movie with crazy wizards and shit, and it sorta fucked with me. I had to take a moment to myself.

Okay, so random thoughts about Hulk: (Caution: this may ruin your experience, or at least reveal some elements of the movie)

Mikey and I both agreed that there were too many puppy-love moments between Betty (Liv Tyler) and Bruce (Edward Norton). We counted more than 4 moments of intense eye contact and emotional reflection that lasted too long. I think it was necessary to re-establish his character as emotionally conflicted and emphasize his humility, but the duration of these moments was a bit extreme for my taste. All in all, I would have preferred more smashing and less lovey-dovey crap. This was my biggest beef with the film.

However, there was an AWESOME monster battle at the end that merited some serious fist-pumping. Key moments included:

1. Hulk takes one fist and slams it down on a cop car, shaking the whole city. The car is split in halves, and Hulk puts each half of the car on his fists like boxing gloves. He proceeds to box the shit out of his mucho monster opponent. It is super bad ass !!! Watch the clip of the fight between Hulk and Abomination:

2. Hulks hands are so huge, and his love for Betty is so great that when he sees her in harm's way, he claps his big-ass hands and projects super-sonic ass-kicking sound waves that fuck shit up. Yeah son.
3. The official line, delivered right before ultimate devastation, was included only once during the entire movie and timed perfectly. After I heard "HULK SMASH" in this film, I wanted to turn around and start high-fivin' people sitting around me. In actuality I didn't, but I sure as hell wanted to...

Liv and Ed did well for the parts they were playing. If you go into this movie expecting an intricate plot chock full of layered characters and room for interpretation, you will be disappointed. It is what it is. I left the theatre with the idea that it would be fun to buy a six pack of beer bottles and go smash them on stop signs, high school style. Mikey told me that we were too old for that, and ended up convincing me that I should be a little more mature. *sigh*. True story. I also kind of wanted to kick something (anything) just to feel cool and destructive, even if my stupid girl foot did no damage whatsoever. Yeah son. In other words, I had fun and watching Hulk on the big screen was not a waste of time.

Basically, Marvel's next big endeavor will be the Avengers movie, in which I personally believe Hulk will end up being the bad guy. They will have to cast Edward Norton for this role, as well. He has the talent to play the emotionally twisted, bipolar, confused big green guy.

No comments: