Saturday, June 21, 2008

I will be an art appraiser in 6 weeks...

I'm getting old, and I'm getting responsibilities. I'm also getting some letters to put after my name. In less than 2 weeks, I will be headed to NYU to get my license and certification in art appraisal. 4 weeks later, I will have (hopefully!) passed my exams and put in my hours. Yup. I'm going to be a personal property appraiser. I am VERY excited, and I think it will be quite perfect for me! I've been doing provenance research for an art collector in town for several months now and I find it so interesting. I love doing research in general, actually. This career choice seems to synthesize my interest in art, economics, history and research. It also gets me out of pursuing a PhD! muhuahaha !!!

I've been exploring areas of specialization, and I'm considering jewelry, oriental rugs and fine china. Ideally, I would work with 17th century Dutch paintings, but that is perhaps a bit too narrow and certainly not applicable to the greater Cincinnati area (where I hope to live for at least a little while longer...). So, my connoisseurship courses are: 18th and 19th century furniture, Jewelry appraisal, and American silver. Most of my time in NYC (Monday-Friday 8AM - 8PM) will be spent learning about art as it pertains to insurance, damage and loss, estate matters, charitable contributions, and equitable distribution. My appraisal classes, which cover these topics and others, are: Research Methods, Art Law, Essentials of Appraising, and an Appraisal Writing Workshop. I also have a study and review course (only 3 days long) for the USPAP (Uniform Standards for Professional Appraisal Practices) exam. For me, it sounds like it's gonna be the bee's knees.

My NYC living arrangements: I have arranged for an apartment with some roommates in Greenwich Village. To my dismay, I can't take Maximus with me, because ferrets are illegal to own in New York City! I am quite upset about being away from him for so long.... Nevertheless, I'm excited about my classes, my living arrangement AND about adventures in the city...and you better believe that I will be posting some stories from the big apple on here as they happen.

No comments: