Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Walking is a Good Thing

There are few things in life I enjoy more in life than a beautiful day. Last saturday, it was so gorgeous outside that I decided to walk six miles to another small town. It was a great trip: I picked haunted flowers from an overgrown cemetery I found in the woods with tombstones from the early 19th century, I met several other cool walkers, and I found an awesome creek that I'm going to Kayak in the very near future. The trip reminded me of this one time during undergrad when I rode a razor scooter from Danville KY to Harrodsburg KY, about 15 miles round trip. I took country roads, and it was an amazing, bright, warm day. There still survives in my ever-escaping memory the experience of going down a steep-ass hill on a razor scooter at about 35 mph. I know that does not sound fast, but when you're riding that thing, you feel like you're in fuckin' razor NASCAR. I also remember thinking that I was going to die.

But, back to my awesome walk from one town to the next: Every mile and a half or so, someone would pull up beside me and ask if I needed a ride, or if I was "ok". I couldn't believe how frequently it occurred! On a beautiful day, in the age of obesity, should you really ask an able-bodied young person if they need a ride? Is there something wrong with walking? That's how they acted. You know our country is in a sad state when gas-guzzling vehicles are the norm, and legs are for losers. It makes me wanna slap a ho.

Get out and walk. Stretch your legs. Wear a smile. Happy days!

No comments: