Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Review of Snoop Dogg's "Ego Trippin'"


Snoop Dogg's newest album has been out and in my possession since mid-March. Therefore I, a huge Snoop fan, owe it to you, my friends, to provide you with some sort of inclination of this album's quality.

It is given that no Snoop album will ever be equal to "Doggystyle". Nor will Snoop ever be as good of a rapper as he was when his middle name was Doggie. "Ego Trippin'" has some good raps, some of which seem like genuine D-O double G, and others that are ruined by whiney R & B voices, almost like descant parts, evident in 'SD is out', which also plays on the electronic euro-synth voice employed by Daft Punk, and the Beastie Boys. Unfortunately, this is a it overused on the CD, and it ends up taking away from his solid raps. One of the best raps on the CD is "Neva Have 2 Worry", when he actually raps about releasing "Doggystyle", switching record labels and making his career. This song is legitimately gangsta. My favorite lines: "A bitch is a bitch, and a ho is a ho." and "Let them headers cock and let them leaders talk, I'mma gonna be smokin down, livin like a boss." This song is followed by the first single released off the album, "Sexual Eruption" (Seduction in the censored version), which has an eighties beat that is repeated in several other songs on the album. "Life of the Party" is a good song, but like most of the songs on the album, it's not got enough Snoop rap. It's catchy as hell, and he would be stupid if he didn't release a single for it. (Think "Buttons" with the Pussycat Dolls, where his rap lasted all of 20 seconds) This is the overall issue with the entire album - his raps are solid, but not long enough, nor descriptive or narrative enough to educate privileged white youth about the things black people do.

One awesome song, dedicated to Johnny Cash, is "My Medicine". SO different from anything he's ever done before - it's almost Bluegrass rap! My favorite line of the album is in this song: "My love's gonna last just as long as my high, and I'm high all day, every day." Now that's my Snoop!

No comments: