Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Sorority Life, Derby and then some

I never realized how lucky I was during undergrad to have the friends that I had. There are all these negative aspects of sorority life that are played up, so many people find it difficult to see all the good that comes from greek life. I consider my time as a Kappa as the best years of my life. Indescribably fun! How fortunate I was to have 70 gals to choose from for companionship on any given night. Not just any girls, but rad chicks who shared my humor and zeal for life. At any time, I could call up a friend (or a group!) for parties, eating out, bowling, smokin', happy hour or Reno's kareoke. Jesus Christ I miss Reno's! I was so lucky!!!

Things are different now - my girlfriends live in the UK, California, Germany, DC just to name a few. This would be easier to deal with if it were so easy to get into a social circle in Cincinnati. I have a small program, DAAP is a small rumor-mill of a place, and everyone in archaeology is SO serious that they read on weekends. I am used to FAR more recreation! My bar hopping buddies and old house mates from KKG are doing different things, and I haven't found replacements. I have met cool girls in my program that I love to death, but they also have boyfriends and everyone knows that boyfriend = lame-o. :-) There are also very awesome guys that I hang with that are totally fun and entertaining. I am just so accustomed to sisters in estrogen after college!

FORTUNATELY for me, I will be seeing a bunch of my old girlfriends at my little sis' 21st birthday party. Yes, that's right, 21st. As the oldest invited (I believe) There will be one of two roles that I will fulfill: I will either be the babysitter, holding the hair back of my young puking friends, or I will get completely out of control and arrested. The latter is probably not a good idea, since I'm no longer dating the son of a highly influential attorney. fuck it.

The next day I will be waking up, putting on a bubble gum pink capri summer suit and heading to keeneland for the derby day celebration. It is going to be outrageously fun = again lots of beer and food! Good friends, good times. I am very much looking forward to seeing familiar faces at the races! I also plan on hitting the trifecta. Boo yah.

No comments: