Wednesday, April 9, 2008

March Art Market Report


As many of you know, I'm studying to become an art appraiser. In this quest, I spend *A LOT* of time in databases, on auction websites, ect. Artnet is the most comprehensive, professional and best organized, in my opinion. So, I refer to it when I post this info on market trends.

This month, Maqbul Fida Husain sold Battle of Ganga and Jamuna at Christie's of New York for $1,609,000 USD. Last I heard, Husain was the highest paid Indian painter, with individual paintings going for 2 M on average. He got into some hot water a while back with his fellow Hindus for painting their goddesses in the buff. That didn't go over so well, but even despite his domestic controversies, he's still considered the Indian Picasso, and still sells the shit out of his work in America. Leave to the ol' US of A to pour money into foreign economies! At least this was sold in NYC, it could be worse!

Francis Bacon didn't move anything too terribly notable this month, unlike in February when his paintings accounted for several of the top ten hammer prices. He didn't have a single piece in the top ten in March!

No comments: