Friday, August 1, 2008

She shines with her own kind of light

I'm still bothered by the fact that the drunk guy who traumatized me the other night kept calling me an "Ohio girl" or a "Pennsylvania girl". Seriously, fuck that. I am from Kentucky. Let us remember my previous post regarding buckeyes. And Pennsylvania, WTF?! You never hear anyone say, "Oh dude, there is this bomb Pennsylvania chick who is totally fuckin' incredible!!" or "I went to Pennsylvania and had a fucking crazy awesome time!!! Wooooo weeee!!" No. I would hate to be from those states, and other states lacking colorful reputations.

I think it's pretty cool to be a Kentucky lady: men treat you far better (as compared to say, chicks from the Northeast), there are songs about us (see list below) and we live paradoxically. By this, I mean that we are raised in a social construct that holds manners, respect and compassion in the highest regard. However, depending on the context, it is also perfectly acceptable for us to drink liquor and gamble. and fuck. I just love having this option!

So here are some Kentucky songs:

Neil Diamond - "Kentucky Woman" (The Deep Purple cover is a little more lively, and can be found here.)

Paul McCartney's cover of Bill Monroe - "Blue Moon of Kentucky"

Pure Prairie League - "Kentucky Moonshine"


Loretta Lynn - "Blue Eyed Kentucky Girl" (written about me, of course!)

I can go for the summer to London,
I can go for the winter to Rome,
But nothing will compare
with what I long to share
with my darlin', my baby at home.


Merle Haggard - "Kentucky Gambler"


And of course, Afroman LOVES him some Kentucky girls:

No comments: