Saturday, July 11, 2009

axe wounds, water skiing, great friends

This weekend, my partner in crime and her roommate from San Francisco came to visit. What a treat! Other than the fact that I'm exhausted right now. She left a while ago, and I've shamelessly bummed around since. I did a few productive things, like worked out and finished writing some letters, etc. but I've been stoned all day.

Can I just say that it's been really refreshing to hang out with my female friends? The past two weekends I've been able to spend with best friends from college, and it's been an absolute blast! The roomie, Stella and now Cali Ali have visited and we've really had a great time. I've written about this before, but it really kinda sucks making the adjustment from being in the middle of a group of 80+ females to moving into your own place and into a stupid grad school social circle that's tiny, distant and sometimes a little cold for my taste. Bonding with women is so much harder than before, because you're not forced into it by circumstances (i.e. living in dorms, rush, service projects). Additionally, at this point you've had so many friendships that you know what to look for in friends, as far as their personality types and value systems. I'm picky, I guess, in the kinda chicks I actually call friends. I really only have a couple good girl-friends here in the city.

My social group now, as a young professional, is mostly male, just because it's been easier. Like me, Mikey moved up here after undergrad, so we just kept kickin' it, then when trues came up that also resumed. Guys are typically easier to meet and way easier to weed out. You can tell if guys stretch the truth, their bad habits are obvious, and if they're annoying its usually right from the get-go. It's a little harder to decipher females in this respect. Females do a much better job at masking bad qualities. One chick I went to undergrad with was a compulsive liar. She was nuts. Yet, I didn't know until we were friends for a year and a half. She lied about all kinds of things, and did really shitty things to people. It went on for months before anyone knew. Months of my life I can't get back. Sucky suck suck. I'm glad I'm not gay, or a dude. I wouldn't want to bother with most women.

Not that men are a whole lot better, just a bit more transparent, perhaps. It's hard to find chicks who like to do the things I like to do. More guys smoke pot than girls, unfortunately. I like athletics and I'm active. I do things outdoors, like camp, climb and kayak. Not many females dig this stuff. Other than my BEST friends, which is why they are the BEST! But, they are also in different parts of the world. Because of my interests, I end up at a lot of sausage parties. Fun, but I was so happy to see my girl-friends for a change!

Last weekend, my ol' roomie came to visit.

The next day, I took a camping trip down to Laurel Lake. Stella and I smoked a ton of dope, listened to mad musique francaise, and camped with Tocaya II and her beau who came along. She (drunkenly) decided to chop some wood with a hatchet, and ended up in the ER. She put a nice little gash in her hand with an axe, in between her index finger and thumb. You could see all the stuff that happens under the skin on your hand. It reminded me of an uncooked pork chop, and I watched them put the stitches in it with amazement. When the doc (who apparently knew my mother, thank you HIPA) finished, he wrote her a prescription and sent us on our way. We were in an ER in southeastern Kentucky, and as we walked out the door she looks at her scripts, then looks at me and shouts, "PAIN PILLS!" Like, really enthusiastically (she woulda high-fived me if her hand was working) I wonder how many people every day react the same way at this country hospital?

On the way home we smoked hella weed and listened to Mike Posner's "Smoke and Drive". TIIIIGHT. Currently, my fav smoke song. (He's playing in Chicago on July 17th) We laughed about how Stella had an "Axe Wound". silly silly silly girls

This weekend was spent at the lake with Ali and Em. Mikey took us out on his boat, a crew of 8 of us, and we swam, cruised around the lake, smoked and ate food. We got pretty stellar tans, too. Weather was gorgeous and the water was warm. I defiantly did some water skiing, which is something that, despite growing up on the lake, I had never done. It took 4 tries for me to get up on the skis, then I got some coaching from Mikey and went for a hot minute. It was getting ready to storm and I was waterlogged and pretty high, so I stopped. BUT I am definitely going back for more practice! I can see how addictive water skiing can be.

1 comment:

sas685 said...

i love that my visit to you is one line lol
sorry for not bringing the excitement, dude. but i did provide some excellent quotage.