Sunday, January 11, 2009

Reasons to be cheerful

I'm not even gonna beat around the bush about my weekend. It was fickin' awesome! What did do? NOTHING! In the past 36 hours, I've eaten a quarter of funkedy funk skunk (by way of some awesome brownies that I baked MYSELF!) and watched Pineapple Express three times. As you can imagine, this experience gave me a chance to reflect on how lucky I am to be where I am. Yes, I am.

Last night, when my mind was in a very different but not unusual state, I said to my buddy, "Sometimes I just sit around smiling ear to ear, just thinking about how happy I am. I mean, I don't have shit to worry about. This is really all I have to do!"

And it is so true, and so beautiful.

I have a great daily routine. I wake up, smoke, work out, shower (I sing old school Pearl Jam in the shower), and go to work. My job is helping others, which I love. It's good to feel helpful, and I genuinely love everyone with whom I work. Sure, there's some pesky annoying office bullshit, but that's everywhere and it's not worth me sweatin'. There is nothing truly stressful about my job, either. I'm not a brain surgeon, or a high-profile attorney. Those people have real stress, real questions to answer. The biggest question of my day is usually, "What am I going to have for lunch?" That one really tears me up, every damn day.

No one relies on me for anything significant, either. I don't have any dependents, or even have to answer to a boyfriend. Sure, it's true I don't get laid very often, but in the grand scheme of things I can smoke enough pot to forget about that and get over myself. While I don't have a boyfriend, I do have an awesome roommate, who is a ferret. He never complains but always comes to greet me when I get home from work and class. School is easy, work is fun and I don't have jack shit to worry about. I come home, get high, and watch football, youtube and cartoons on adult swim. Cooking is fun, and I make up my own recipes sometimes when I'm in the mood for it. Sometimes I blog, and sometimes I draw in my sketchbook, depending on my mood. I feel no pressure, no stress, just straight chillin'. I feel like Babycakes when I say, "I love my life!" But I really do!

Life gets better every day. I've started applying for jobs, so I am going to keep this attitude through this potentially exhausting, frustrating process and just be thankful that I get to wake up every morning in my body, with the relationships I've fostered and the things I've got ahead of me.

1 comment:

sas685 said...

to say that i am jealous of your lifestyle would be an immense understatement