Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Executive felines

My mother has no shame. As an owner of SIX cats, she is also on a list-serve for cat lovers. Essentially, she is THE crazy cat lady and she owns it, if you know what I mean. With resilience, she ignores my cat lady jokes and, to spite me, forwards me her mostly stupid "cat facts" emails from the list-serve.

I guess I'm getting soft, because I found this interesting and appropriate for the day after the election. In the midst of a national economic crisis and an ongoing war in the Middle East, it is only prudent to consider whether or not Obama will be bringing a feline to the White House. Enjoy these kitty facts:

With a new first family poised to enter the White House, are you wondering if a "first feline" will be joining them? While that remains to be seen, many former U.S. presidents have brought their pets to 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue -- and a few have been cats. Remember Socks? The Clintons's black-and-white tuxedo spent his two terms stealing the hearts of White House staffers and the American public. Tabby, the very first cat ever to reside at the White House, belonged to Abe Lincoln. And a sleek black cat named India now lives with George W. Bush at the famous address -- but not for long.

No comments: