Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Turkish motherfucker.

Today, I received a facebook message from one of my turkish "friends", asking (with sincerity) if I was "Melungeon".  What the fuck is "Melungeon" anyway?  I turned to my best friend Wikipedia for an answer, which you can read in full here.  The gist of it, from Wiki:    

Melungeon (mɛlʌndʒʌn) is a term traditionally applied to one of a number of "tri-racial isolate" groups of the Southeastern United States, mainly in the Cumberland Gap area of central Appalachiaeast Tennessee, southwest Virginia, and east KentuckyTri-racialdescribes populations thought to be of mixed (1) European, (2) sub-Saharan African, and (3) Native American ancestry. [1] Although there is no consensus on how many such groups exist, estimates range as high as 200. [2] [3] Some self-identifying Melungeons dislike the term tri-racial isolate, believing that it has pejorative connotations. The term Melungeon was also considered pejorative until the late 20th century.

Motherfucker.  Are you serious?  I'm finishing this post, so I can go off, Tourettes Guy style.

No comments: